Recently my daughter was in “Smokey Joe’s Cafe” performing with the Canadian College of Performing Arts here in Victoria, B.C. We loved the show and also enjoyed celebrating after our fabulous evening at the theatre. A few savouries, lots of desserts, some wine, and good company were all that was necessary for a great evening. While it can be tricky to host a party when you’re not at home prior to your guests arriving, it just takes a little extra organization before you head out the door. I spent the afternoon prepping, so it was relatively easy to walk in after the show, light the candles, put on the music, and let the party begin. Here was my list:
1. Set out the wine glasses, punch bowl, plates and cutlery.
2. Prepare the veggie platter and cheese tray. Cover and refrigerate. Put out the mini quiche and sausage rolls so they were ready to pop in the oven (preset the oven timer so that it was already up to temperature by the time we got home).
3. Prepare the pavlova base in the morning and put it together before the show. Just top the meringue with whipped cream and fruit. Cover and keep in the fridge until serving time.
3. Prepared two of my favourite cakes: Chocolate Brownie Torte and Coconut Cake. Had them ready on the table all set to go. Also prepared the cookie tray (Lemon Shortbread cookies and Mocha Truffle Cookies) along with various chocolate treats.
4. Prepped the decaf coffee and set out coffee mugs and tea cups for later.