If you’re like me, you are always on the lookout for a new salad, especially in summer. I tried a version of this quinoa salad recently and have tweaked it for my own tastes. I’m sure you can adjust it accordingly too, but it’s a refreshing healthy salad that is sure to be a hit with your guests.
Zesty Quinoa Salad
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup kernel corn
- 1 carrot – thinly sliced
- 1 cup snap peas (cut into halves or thirds) – can also use cucumber
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
- Combine quinoa, tomatoes, black beans, corn, carrots, and green onions together in a bowl. Pour dressing over quinoa mixture; toss to coat. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator.