Chocolate Almond Quinoa Cake (Vegan & Gluten Free)
8 OUNCES SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE
3/4 CUP COCONUT OIL
1 1/3 CUPS ALMONDS
2 CUPS COOKED QUINOA
1 CUP COCONUT SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
2 TEASPOONS CINNAMON
1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1/2 CUP COCONUT MILK
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
3 TABLESPOONS CHIA SEEDS (MIXED WITH 1/3 CUP HOT WATER)
1 1/2 CUPS SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE
1 CUP COCONUT MILK
1 CUP RASPBERRIES, FOR GARNISH (OPTIONAL)
MIX THE CHIA SEEDS WITH 1/3 CUP HOT WATER. SET ASIDE
PREHEAT THE OVER TO 350 DEGREES F. GREASE A 9-INCH SPRINGFORM PAN WITH COOKING SPRAY.
PLEASE A LARGE FRYING PAN ON MEDIUM HEAT AND BRING 2-3 CUPS OF WATER TO A SIMMER. PLACE A MEDIUM BOWL IN THE PAN AND ADD THE CHOCOLATE AND COCONUT OIL. STIR THE CHOCOLATE UNTIL FULLY MELTED AND COMBINED WITH THE COCONUT OIL, 7 TO 10 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND SET ASIDE.
PLACE THE ALMONDS IN A FOOD PROCESSOR AND GRIND UNTIL A POWDERY CONSISTENCY IS REACHED. MIX ALMONDS, QUINOA, COCONUT SUGAR, BAKING POWDER, CINNAMON AND BAKING SODA TOGETHER IN A LARGE BOWL. STIR TO COMBINE THE DRY INGREDIENTS, THEN ADD THE MELTED CHOCOLATE MIXTURES, COCONUT MILK, VANILLA AND CHIA SEEDS. MIX UNTIL WELL BLENDED TOGETHER. POUR THE CAKE BATTER INTO THE PREPARED SPRINGFORM PAN AND BAKE UNTIL A TOOTHPICK COMES OUT CLEAN, ABOUT 55-65 MINUTES. LET COOL SLIGHTLY.
FOR THE GANACHE: PLACE THE CHOCOLATE AND COCONUT MILK IN A BOWL AND MELT IN THE SAME MANNER AS EARLIER. STIR UNTIL CHOCOLATE IS FULLY MELTED AND COMBINED WITH THE COCONUT MILK. POUR OVER SLIGHTLY COOLED CAKE. ALLOW THE GANACHE TO SET BEFORE SERVING (CAN BE COOLED IN THE FRIDGE).
PUT ON THE COFFEE AND ENJOY!
2 cups of flour 1/3 cup white sugar
4 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. salt
Mix dry ingredients together and then add 1/2 cup butter – use a pastry blender.
Add 1/2 cup raisins* & mix in 3/4 cup milk. Roll out onto a floured surface to about 1″ thick. Use a circular cookie cutter or simply shape the scones with your hands. Dip the top of the scone in sugar. Baker at 400 for 12-15 minutes. Serve warm.
* You can substitute white chocolate chips and cranraisins. Or add lemon zest and blueberries (or raspberries) for a fruitier scone.
Overnight French Toast
¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
7 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
¼ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cinnamon plus extra for topping
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ vanilla
1 loaf French toast, cut into 1” slices
- Combine melted butter with brown sugar and pour over baking sheet or pan.
- Beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg until combined. Dip both sides of each bread slice into egg mixture. Lay on baking sheet. Dust with cinnamon.
- Pour any remaining mixture over slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Can also be frozen at this point for use at a later date.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with fresh fruit, syrup and whip cream. You can also serve it with a dusting of powdered sugar and maple syrup (or any other flavour of syrup). For a more hearty brunch, serve bacon or sausage alongside.
- I also like to serve yogurt parfaits as an accompaniment to this brunch item.